Thursday, June 27, 2013

Got fins?

My goodness, we had quite the rains overnight. Thunder, lightning, the whole nine yards. The alpacas aren't too thrilled with all the wet ground, but the temperature dropped several degrees so they are actually happier I think! Shearing can't come soon enough. Next year, we'll be doing our shearing in May to get it done quicker in the year. Waiting until June is just too hard on them.

As I look off the front porch this morning I see water standing everywhere. Not ideal, but hey - we'll deal with it. We have a huge covered porch, so we'll even deal with rain if that happens Saturday. Of course, rain will put a halt to the barn painting so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rains stay away. Toes, too!

The ducks seem to be rather content this morning. Of course, they're ducks! A bit of water doesn't bug them a bit.... just brings the bugs to the surface and makes them easier to eat. They have built-in fins, so they don't sink when they wander through the garden. Not true for me. One step into it this morning and I started to sink in. Not good. I've got too much to get accomplished outside for the soggy weather to stick around all day.

Yesterday was quite the disaster around the farm, so I'm really praying for a better day today. We started out with a phone call from dad, asking if we knew who was in the wreck on Highway 89. Dad said there was a car wrapped around a tree, so I'm just praying the driver got out safely. Then we got the call from  Fuzzy Butt Alpacas - they have to work mandatory overtime on Saturday and can't come shear! Oh no. Now what? Dave got on the phone and started making calls - and through the kindness of Eve Secrist in Richmond we found someone that can come on such short notice. He's actually going to be in Beattyville Saturday morning shearing sheep, so stopping here for the afternoon worked out good for him. He's from Somerset so would be traveling this way anyway. One blessing answered.

As Dave was talking to Mr. Crowe on the phone I noticed that the kitchen floor was flooded. What on earth! Something got stopped up in the dishwasher and the water overflowed onto the floor. Whew. Nothing serious. Just clean up work. By this time, it's well after noon and the day is half shot. I would say what else could go wrong, but won't. The rest of the day consisted of another wreck on Highway 89 in the afternoon, a torrential storm passing over and getting nothing really accomplished for the shearing.

But, one day at a time. We'll get there. And if we don't, we don't. But we'll give it a heck of a shot. Guess I'd best get to work. Lots to be done and a short amount of time to get there. I am hoping you have the best day possible and keep smiling!

Blessings,
Pam

My front porch is your front porch, won't you sit awhile?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. Have a Blessed day!